|Ain't she a beaut?|
What You'll Need:
- 1 Medium/Large Pineapple
- 1 Medium Jalapeno
- 2 Pinches Rough-Cut Cilantro
- 1.5oz Reposado Tequila* (per drink)
- .5oz Freshly-Squeezed Lime Juice (per drink)
- .5oz Organic Agave Nectar (per drink)
- Kosher Salt
Making the Mix:
- Cut all the skin and gristle off your pineapple, and cut into 1-inch discs
- Grill the pineapple on both sides until blackened (try to retain the juices!)
- Cut into small chunks, leaving behind the core
- Dice a medium-sized jalapeno, seeds included (or for a more mild spice, remove some or all of the seeds)
- Rough-cut enough cilantro for two pinches
- Combine pineapple (with juice), jalapeno, and cilantro into a container and muddle until well mixed
- That's your mix! Keep refrigerated and use within 2-3 days.
Mixing Your Margarita:
- Fill a tumbler half way with ice
- Combine tequila, lime juice, agave nectar, and 1 TBSP mix - shake vigorously!
- Rim a clear highball glass with kosher salt and pour contents of tumbler
- Garnish with a lime wedge
*A note on tequila: Do not settle for anything less than 100% agave - otherwise it's filled with extra sugar and coloring agents (e.g. Jose Cuervo Gold). A 100% agave reposado (aged or "rested") tequila can be had for under $20/bottle and will be very decent. At Frida we like using Espolon Reposado, which retails for under $30/bottle - it's silky smooth and has just enough spice to complement our margaritas wonderfully.
There you have it - Frida Bistro's Grilled Pineapple/Jalapeno/Cilantro margarita!